Both Emma and Jason were obviously upset about what was going on next door. They could not even get through a meal without hearing the neighbors fighting about something stupid. It troubled them so much that they even had a difficult time falling asleep at night and they often wondered if they should intervene in the situation because it progressively got worse. One time they heard large banging in the apartment next to them and then heard the girl crying. They had thought the man had hit the women and they became terrified of their next door neighbor.
Being that both of them were being forced to hear these fights they began to think of it as normal. Emma and Jason had their own scuffles but nothing that escalated to that point. At first they actually used their neighbors fighting to bring them closer to one another because they made a promise that their fights would never progress that far. Until one night when they both lost their temper greatly and Emma ended up throwing a vase at the floor and shattering it everywhere. They had begun their relationship with neutral symmetry which means they were both allowing one another to possess some of the power in the relationship. As they grew accustomed to their neighbors fighting all of the time they transitioned into a competitive symmetry which both of them would struggle for the highest power so their fights continued to escalate.
Many things could have been done to avoid this situation. First they could have confronted the management of the complex and voiced their opinion about the dangers that were unfolding next door. If the management would not have done anything they could have always reported domestic dispute to the local authorities. Emma and Jason were afraid of repercussion but it would be awfully difficult to pinpoint who called the cops on the fighting neighbors when it is in an apartment home and many people live in a confined space.
Jason and Emma are beginning to develop a state called the principle of negative reciprocity. This principle states that as one person gets more aggressive the other person is likely to follow. This state has a great deal to do with power. They both want the power and are fighting tooth and nail for it. If Emma and Jason do not step back and change their environment and the way they interact with one another they could very easily travel down this road even further and ultimately ruin their entire relationship.
I agree that there could have been many measures taken to avoid the outcomes of this case. I also agree that both parties try to hold all of the power in this case as well. Both sides do need to take a step back and reanalyze the situation, because their relationship could turn out badly. Well done.
ReplyDeleteMelissa
I was interested in your power struggle analogy. I think that negativity produces more negativity. The situation certainly needed to be analyzed and corrected but I think many times people don't want to get involved. Tonia's post was insightful and recommended getting involved and signs of danger. I wonder how many of us would do something before taking this class.
ReplyDeleteGreat analysis! I like the way you analyzed what they could have done to better the situation, and how you incorporated management, the principal of negative reciprocity, and power. Good job!
ReplyDelete-Heather Georgieff
Good job with your analysis! It was interesting to read about how they should go about their situation with their neighbors, and like above stated, I always think that negative behavior brings in more negative behavior. I feel like this case is a very important in one as many people like ourselves can find in the same situation.
ReplyDeleteGreat job with your analysis! I also wrote about this case study i found it so interesting to see other people's point of view. I feel when your around negative people or place you to become very negative. Its like when kids see their parntes fight they too want to fight with someone. Gteat Job!
ReplyDeleteThis is an interesting case that obtains many important topics addressed in the book. You noted that this case study involves a couple who are transitioning into a competitive symmetry in which they both struggle for power and dominance in the relationship. I also thought that expectations of one another impacted the relationship in a negative way. It seems that Emma expected Jason to show her more respect and appreciation of her. With this expectation, she was not being satisfied and conflict arose. I enjoyed your post!
ReplyDelete